A lot of men think skin care is only necessary when they have a specific issue, such as acne, redness, or wrinkles. While some products can help with isolated issues, a daily skin care routine can help prevent them.
Maintaining a fit skin is just as important as maintaining a fit mind and a fit body. Just like diet and exercise keeps your body in shape, following a daily skin care routine keeps your skin healthy and toned.
We asked our Training Manager and Medical Aesthetician, Jessica Berto, for her advice on men’s skincare. She kept it simple, so it’s easy for you (or the male in your life) to stick to.
Here are 4 easy steps to keep your complexion clear, firm, and bright:
1. Cleanse & tone your skin
Gently washing your face twice daily (AM & PM) with a facial cleanser/toner that is adapted to your skin type will remove excess oil, sweat and other impurities that can clog pores and promote the development of acne-causing bacteria.
• TRY THIS: Available in both Gel (for combination skin) or Milk (for normal to dry skin) the Moisturizing Cleanser and Toner from Functionalab is 2 products in 1, saving you precious time in your routine.
• PRO TIP: Washing your face more than twice daily is unnecessary (unless it’s after exercise) as it can over-stimulate your sebum glands, creating excess oil production.
• PRACTICAL TIP: Keep a bottle in your shower or gym bag. Having your toning cleanser handy will remind you to use it.
2. Exfoliate your skin
Exfoliate your face 1-3 times per week, after cleansing and before shaving. Exfoliation removes dead cells that accumulate on the surface of the skin, thereby stimulating the production of new cells for a revitalizing effect. Depending on your skin type, you may need to exfoliate more often (oily skin) to prevent clogged pores and breakouts. Scrubbing the shave area discourages in-grown hairs and bumps.
• TRY THIS: Safe for all skin types, the Micro Pearl Exfoliator from Functionalab delivers powerful skin‑smoothing action, refines and brightens skin appearance, improves hydration and clears clogged pores.
• PRO TIP: Take it easy, over-exfoliating can cause dryness, irritation, and excess oil production. Be sure to exfoliate the entire surface of your face; don’t forget the temples, above the lip under the nose, the nose and its sides, being careful to avoid the eye area.
3. Hydrate your skin
Hydrate your skin twice daily (AM & PM) after cleansing (and exfoliating) to help skin cells retain water, improve skin firmness, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
• TRY THIS:Daily Moisture from SkinCeuticals is a lightweight moisturizer formulated with astringent ingredients to absorb excess oil and temporarily reduce the appearance of pore size.
• PRO TIP: As you age, your collagen (skin proteins) begins to decline. Your skin can’t hold us much moisture as it used to, so give it the extra boost of nutrients and hydration it needs!
4. Protect your skin
At least 70% of causes of skin aging are from exposure to the sun. Applying a Mineral Sunscreen with at least SPF 30 in the morning, after you cleanse, (exfoliate), and moisturize will help protect your skin from harmful UV rays and prevent skin aging.
• PRO TIP: Mineral sunscreens (aka physical sunscreens) work on your skin as long as you don’t rub them off. Be sure to re-apply after sweating heavily, swimming or drying off.
Dark circles and bags around the eyes can be the result of fatigue. Applying an eye cream in the morning, stimulates the eye area, reducing puffiness and fluid build-up.
• TRY THIS: The lightweight and fast absorbing AOX+ Eye Gel from SkinCeuticals is a vitamin c eye gel proven to decrease puffiness, pigmented dark circles, crows feet, and other signs of environmental aging.
• PRO TIP: Place small dots all around the eye area — under eyes, outer corners, eyelids, and smooth in until thoroughly absorbed.
Just like that, an effective skin care routine with as little as 4 products.
Ready to get started? Our team is here to assist you. Make an appointment for a free consultation – by phone, video or in person!
Join the Dermapure community!
Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with the latest news and enjoy exclusive offers! You’ll receive a $25 discount applicable on one of our products or treatments*.
*Discount applicable on Functionalab products for orders over $150 before taxes, not applicable on treatments provided by physicians or nurse injectors.
Tips, contests, exclusive offers every month
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive exclusive content!