Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgery of the stomach that removes excess sagging skin and excess fat from the abdomen. Among cosmetic surgeries, it’s considered one of the most drastic and invasive, involving anaesthesia, risks, pain, and recovery time. Before making a decision, it might be wise to question whether or not cosmetic surgery is the most appropriate option in your case.
Cosmetic surgery of the stomach: the indications in brief
Cosmetic surgery of the stomach may be advisable for aesthetic as well as functional reasons:
- significant skin sagging due to multiple pregnancies or significant weight fluctuations;
- amplified effects of the skin’s natural aging process;
- an umbilical hernia;
- diastasis recti, or abdominal separation, spread out on the centre line, which causes a distension of the abdomen (congenital or due to a Caesarean section, for example);
- the presence of an abdominal apron that partially or fully covers the pubic area;
- skin with stretch marks or scars.
Do all these indications require cosmetic surgery of the stomach?
Depending on your situation, it’s possible that surgery isn’t your only option. There are indeed other alternatives for improving the appearance of your stomach that can let you avoid the seriousness of an act such as complete cosmetic surgery.
Here, we propose taking stock of two non-invasive platforms approved by Health Canada, to help you see more clearly.
I have unsightly curves on my stomach that I’d like to get rid of.
Did you know that the CoolSculpting® platform is a method practiced in more than 56 countries worldwide that could perfectly meet your expectations?
CoolSculpting® uses a thinning process based on the principle of cryolipolysis, a technique that breaks down adipocytes (or fat cells) with cold. The fat cells are literally frozen then eliminated via the body’s natural pathways in the weeks following the treatment.
CoolSculpting® might be the right solution for you if:
- you want to refine your figure around the stomach, arms, and back;
- you want to eliminate your love handles and feel comfortable in your clothes again;
- you have a double chin that you’d like to get rid of;
- you want to reduce the appearance of your “saddlebags”;
- you’d like to sculpt certain areas of your body that are resistant to exercise.
CoolSculpting® doesn’t require any special diet or recovery time, and it’s proven itself over the course of the past few years. It’s currently the most reliable and consistent non-surgical treatment for eliminating fatty deposits. The results speak for themselves; see for yourself here!
I just want to improve the texture of the skin on my stomach.
If you want to reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks and generally improve the texture of your skin, the Fraxel® fractional resurfacing platform may well be right for you.
This technology effectively targets both the superficial and the deeper layers of the epidermis without anaesthesia.
You might want to consider Fraxel® fractional resurfacing if:
- your stomach has surgical scars;
- you observe a “wrinkly” look and a slight sagging of the skin on your stomach;
- you notice the presence of stretch marks.
Fraxel® fractional resurfacing is carried out by creating thousands of microscopic treatment areas on the skin without ablation. The penetration of each point by the laser eliminates the old and/or damaged skin cells and stimulates skin regeneration, so your skin becomes fresh, bright, and healthy again. Several sessions may be necessary, depending on the initial condition of your skin. The laser is very precise and significantly improves skin texture without the risks associated with cosmetic surgery.
If you’re thinking about taking advantage of one of these two technologies offered by Dermapure to improve the appearance of your stomach without going under the knife, don’t hesitate to visit our clinic for a free assessment!